Thursday, 6 November 2014

Hair inspiration // 3 quick and easy hairstyles

On a morning before school or work when you're in a rush the last thing you want to be worrying about is your hair. Half the time if I'm in a hurry I whack my hair up in a ponytail and have done with it. But I can't wear the same ponytail 7 days a week- though I wish I could. When I've already done the ponytail 3 days in a row, these are the times when I'd rather shave off my hair than leave the house. All my long haired friends out there know what I'm talking about. 

This post is to save you from wanting to tear you hair out.

I've created a few easy and simple hair styles that can be made in 10 minutes or less, on the bus on the way to school or you can even get a friend to do it when you get to school. Extra special thanks to my amazing friends for modelling these hairstyles (Grace, Laura and Liv), I couldn't have done it with out you and your beautiful heads of hair.

The never ending waterfall braid


Slight lie- this waterfall does end. Essentially what I've done here is 2 waterfall braids into a bobble that matches the colour of the hair. This gives it a never-ending effect but is a lot easier than trying to do 1 waterfall braid all the way round the head and getting your arms all tangled. If you can french braid you can 100% do a waterfall braid too. To do a waterfall braid, start a normal french plait using sections A, B, C. Every time you get to A, drop it instead of adding in and pick up a new bit of hair from around the section you dropped it in. This makes a waterfall effect as the piece of hair dropped cascades through the other sections. I know it's a bit hard to understand so I've linked a tutorial here  

The fishtail braid


A lot simpler than the waterfall braid is the fishtail braid. I'm pretty sure lots of people will have seen one of these before, it's like a normal braid but it looks more intricate so it looks like you spent a hile doing your hair rather than just 5 minutes. Basically to do a fishtail plait you spilt your hair into two, take a small piece from the back of one section and bring it to the front of the other. Repeat this process all the way down your hair and voila! If you want to jazz up your fishtail a little, make a deep side part and plait your hair on the side of the deep part, it adds extra drama and volume making your hair look amazing.

The half-up half down french braid


If anyone here has tried french braiding their own hair before they will know the intense burning sensation that floods your arms before you've even gotten half way down your head. Usually for me this results in a change of hairstyle because I don't have the strength to finish it off. This style is perfect for when the burning strikes and you have to stop half down your head- but no one else has to know you only did half a job. Essentially this a basic french braid from the top of the head to the middle, then it merges into an ordinary braid and is tied off in a bobble. Short, simple and easy this beautiful hairstyle is one of my favourites. 

What's your favourite go to hairstyle?

Thanks for reading lovelies,

Elish xo