Saturday, 13 December 2014

Battle of the Budget Brow-scaras: Rimmel vs. Maybelline


Brows are important- but so is Netflix. So I'm always happy when I find a good value brow product that's easily as good as a high end alternative, then I can have strong brows and afford a Netflix subscription: happy days all round. My favourite type of brow product has to be brow-scaras. These super simple brow gels come with a mini mascara wand which can sort out even unruly brows in a flash: needless to say I'm a big fan. I'm always on the look out for a reasonably priced brow gel and maybelline brow drama and rimmel brow this way are two of my favourites; both are a little different but for less than £5 (brow drama is £4.99 and brow this way is £3.99) both are a steal that I'd 100% recommend.

Maybelline Brow Drama in Medium Brown

Both products are in the shade medium brown which seems to suit my ginger hair best. The brow drama is a longer product, square in shape and more like a mascara bottle. It has a odd shaped wand where it widens at one end in a circle shape. I think this is supposed to make it easier to apply the product but I find it a bit of a nuisance as it gets everywhere but my brow. Brow this way has is a smaller product that has a smaller, more mascara like wand, which I find easy to control and creates less of a mess. For me, brow this way wins the wand competition but I know a lot of people find it hard to handle without practise. 

Rimmel Brow this way in Medium Brown

Both products have a strong colour payoff straight from the tube (brow drama on the left, brow this way on the right), but because off the awkward wand shape I find I hard to get the product from the wand to my eyebrows when using brow drama. This means the colour of brow drama is less intense and a bit patchier, however it provides a great natural looking brow. On the other hand brow this way transfers almost all of the product from the wand to your brows so you have to be a bit light handed with this or your brows are suddenly 10 shades darker than your hair. 

On a day to day basis I use brow this way at lot more often because it works amazingly on its own; the strong colour payoff means it's a one swipe job and then I'm good to go. I tend to use brow drama when I've already filled in my brows and just need to set them. I get a lot of use out of both products, but if I was stranded on a desert island, I'd have definitely taken brow this way over brow drama. Both are amazing though and if you have naturally great brows you might prefer brow drama just to set them in place, however if your eyebrows are little patchy like mine and you need to darken them up, brow this way will probably be your new best friend.

I'm obsessed with these brow-scaras and I'd love to get my hands on some more, they're definitely my favourite type of brow product: so quick, simple and easy.

What's your favourite brow product?

Thanks for reading lovelies,

Elish