Thursday, 15 January 2015

Budget Beauty: Collection 'Work The Colour' Eyeshadow Pencil


On what seems like my weekly stroll through boots I was pretty disappointed to see the 3 for 2 offer on makeup was nowhere in sight. I always pray for the 3 for 2 deal to be on, but usually I'm disappointed and am left having to pay full price on cosmetics or trying to be super patient and wait for the 3 for 2 offer to eventually reveal itself which seems to never happen. Anyway after sulking my way through the makeup section I was beyond excited to see an offer on collection's range. A bunch of the products were half price or had a couple of pounds off which was enough to convince me to pick up a bunch of collections products and give them a go.

One of the products I picked up was the 'collection work the colour eyeshadow stick' which I immediately thought looked like a cheaper dupe of the NYX eyeshadow sticks. Needless to say I was a bit overwhelmed, having never been able to get my hands on NYX before, I picked up 3 of the range to try out. I mean for £2.50, why not?

I picked up the shades 'vintage blush' , 'vanilla sky' and 'hot chocolate' which are beautiful everyday neutral colours which look great on their own or fab together to give a subtle smoky eye perfect for school or work. 'Vintage blush' (on the far right below) is a soft rose gold pink which looks great all over the lid and is pretty much identical to NYX's 'Yoghurt'. 'Vanilla sky' (in the middle below) is also another NYX dupe for 'milk', it's a shimmery white which is absolutely perfect as an inner eye highlight and a brow bone highlight too. 'Hot chocolate' (seen far left below) is your typical brown eyeshadow which adds lovely depth to an eye look in the crease, it's definitely one of my favourites.



The formula of the product is just like your typical cream eyeshadow but in a stick, which I prefer because it'a just so much more fun than a tub. The sticks are so easy to use, you literally just have to swipe them where you want them and they transfer right onto the skin. You don't have to press down super hard, however I do find it helps to warm them up a little bit on the back of your hand to make the application even smoother than it already is.

Once on the eyelid the product is surprisingly simple to blend, I usually just use my finger to blend out the edges of the colour but I'm sure a brush would work just as well. Something I do find though is that the product seems to dry quite quickly after it's applied which I find happens a lot with makeup from collection- particularly the lasting concealer. Although it dries pretty quick it's not really a bad thing because once it has dried BOY has it dried. The eyeshadow pretty much lasts all day without creasing which isn't too bad for £2.50. To deal with the drying, I work on one eye at a time and getting blending almost immediately after applying which seems to work a treat.


Currently these are part of my favourite go to eye look. I work 'Vintage blush' all over the lid and then run 'Hot chocolate through the crease before finishing off with 'Vanilla sky' as an inner eye highlight. I'm obsessed with pairing them all together to make this neutral, natural eye look which is so simple for mornings when I can't quite get my brain to work before 8am.

For £2.50 these little wonders did not disappoint and I can't wait to get my hands on some more of the range.

What's your go to eyeshadow product?

Thanks for reading lovelies,

Elish xo

Twitter / Instagram / Bloglovin'