Sunday, 11 January 2015

How to stop biting your nails 101


Until recently I was a self-confessed nail biter and had been since probably the age of six. Anytime I was stressed or worried or just plain bored I'd start to bite away at my stubby little nails which I'd been trying (and failing) to grow for years. Not only is nail biting an unsightly habit but it's also pretty unhygienic as you're putting all the bacteria that gets trapped behind your nails into your mouth- did someone say ewww? Also I recently discovered that nail biting can cause your teeth to shift out of place and after a year of wearing braces and another year of wearing a retainer I was determined to kick the habit one way or another because I did not want to have my braces put back on anytime soon.

I tried so many different things to try and stop myself from biting my nails. I tried the dreaded anti-nail biting nail polish which I'm sure was made by Satan because it tastes absolutely revolting. I even tried sitting on my hands to keep them away from my mouth. I found that some techniques were just plain stupid and made me look odd (e.g. randomly sitting on my hands in the middle of a lesson) and others actually seemed to work. For anyone else out there who's looking to kick the nail biting habit I've come up with a few of the ways I found best to stop biting my nails.

1 Paint your nails

If my nails are covered in nail polish I find myself less likely to bite my nails because I don't want to ruin the nail polish or if I do feel the urge to bite my nails I end up picking off the nail polish rather than biting my nails. If you're not allowed to wear nail varnish in school you could try a light shade like a nude or a pink which isn't so obvious, I stick to a nude for day to day and no one seems to mind even though nail polish technically isn't allowed.

2 Buy some nice nail polish

There's nothing worse than having bought a really nice nail varnish and then not being able to wear it on your short and stubby nails. If I buy myself an essie or OPI nail polish it encourages me to stop biting my nails because I want to get my moneys worth out of the nail polish, after all no one likes to waste their money on something they can't use.

3 Wear a bobble on your wrist

Most people bite their nails out of stress or because their bored. Either way it's easier to replace nail biting with something else to relieve boredom or stress rather than go cold turkey. I sometimes like to wear a bobble or a bracelet on my wrist that I can take off and mess about with whenever I'm bored and would usually resort to biting my nails. Also you can- though I haven't done this myself- snap your wrist with the bobble every time you feel the urge to bite your nails as a way to train yourself out of it: however I'm a wimp and couldn't voluntarily hurt myself.

4 Write something

Essentially if you keep your hands busy then you're less likely to bite your nails because you can't actually get your nail to your mouth. As a blogger, I like to write a post or jot down some ideas to keep my hands busy which works a treat. However if you don't like to write you could always doodle or even play the piano or any hobby that keeps your hands busy.

5 Chew some gum

Similar to 'write something', if you keep your mouth busy then you won't be able to bite your nails- and if you chew some gum you also get a minty fresh mouth so it's a win win all round. I personally don't like to chew gum because I'm not allowed in school and then if I do I'm usually miles away from a bin so I have nowhere to put it. I prefer just to eat something like an apple (I'm trying to be healthy) or suck on a hard boiled sweet.

Through some sort of miracle I have truly managed to kick the nail biting habit- bye bye short and stubby nails! I'm really enjoying my new longer nails which are definitely so much easier to paint than my shorter nails before. I'm expanding my nail varnish collection rapidly and I think I might have a little bit of an obsession with nude coloured nail polish.

If you're trying to kick the nail biting habit then I hope you found some of these tips useful!

Are you/ were you a nail biter?

Thanks for reading lovelies,

Elish xo

Twitter / Instagram / Bloglovin'