Tuesday, 20 January 2015

My Top 5 Healthy Snacks


Like the majority of the population, one of my New Years resolutions is to try and eat healthier. I don't want to deny myself anything- I love Cadburys chocolate too much for that- but I am trying to get my 5 a day and eat healthy for most of the week. However the same can't be said for Saturday and Sunday, when the weekend comes so do the calories- I'm talking takeaways and McFlurrys. 

During the week, when I'm trying to stick to my healthy diet, I find myself (especially after spending the full day at school) craving something to eat way before dinner time. I usually find myself making myself an almost healthy snack that still tastes quite nice- like I said I don't want to deny myself anything, especially when I have such a sweet tooth.

Apple slices with peanut butter

I cannot express my love for peanut butter. Even though I'm usually a Nutella girl through and through, peanut butter is a little bit healthier- especially the organic crunchy stuff- and I love to throw it on the side of anything. I love slicing up an apple and dipping it in some peanut butter, and if I have a little extra time I absolutely love making little apple and peanut butter sandwiches by slicing the apple horizontally and then spreading the peanut butter across- yummmmmmy.

Ryvita pumpkin seeds and oats crispbread 

Pretty much the only savoury snack on the list (which shows my sweet tooth) but I love the ryvita crispbreads. They do them in a bunch of flavours but my favourite has to be the pumpkin seeds and oats. They basically taste like a cracker but they're so much better for you at only 44 calories a slice. I love them dry but I also think they taste amazing with a bit of philadelphia or if I fancy something sweet (which I always do) I love to butter them up with peanut butter and slice a banana on top, it's so good! I'm making myself hungry just thinking about them.

Low fat Greek style natural yogurt with fruit and golden syrup

To be honest I love all yoghurts- especially the frozen type- but I'm seriously natural yogurts biggest fan. It's super healthy and so multi-purpose. One day it'll be on my curry (which obviously needs to be made milder than it already is because even after a summer in India, I'm still a wimp when it comes to spicy food) and the nest I'll be chucking some grapes and syrup on it. I know I should really use honey as a sweetener since it's more natural and better for you but I just have too much of a sweet tooth and I can't say no to a bit of golden syrup- especially when we have 3 jars of it in the cupboard.

Nākd bars

I've looked at this little lovelies on the shelves of tescos for ages and just haven't picked them up. I was really unsure about them at first- considering their main ingredient is dates regardless of the flavour- but I've been pleasantly surprised. Nāked bars are 100% vegan and have a chewy cake like texture, the flavours vary but they're all natural and pretty good for you! Each one is one of you're 5 a day which can't be bad for something which tastes like cake! I recommend the apple pie and Bakewell tart flavours if anyone's interested, they're to die for.

Mixed nuts 

Another sweet snack which I'm obsessed with is a mixed nuts. I grab a handful throw them in a tub and eat to my hearts content. Nuts are an amazing source of fibre so help maintain a healthy digestive system but they're quite fattening (even if they are good fats) so watch out. I love the nuts with dry fruits as well because you get a little bit of sweetness but it's still healthy! What's not to like?

Needless to say, after writing this post, I'm off to make all 5 of my favourite snacks and attempt to eat them all at once without feeling guilty! I'll let you know how it goes!

I'd love some more healthy snack recommendations, what are you favourite go to healthy snacks?

Thanks for reading lovelies,

Elish xo